Friday, April 2, 2021

"Don't worry and don't be afraid, ............remember those mountains you climbed down yesterday?...............You can do it again and I'll help you."

This week has brought a host of feelings and thoughts about family, friends, suffering, setbacks, faith, hope, grieving, divinity and life's journey with all it's twists and turns along the way.  

As I attended a friends funeral, I reflected on a simple life well-lived and much loved.  

As I watched my parents and uncle struggle with life's uncertainties and struggles and their valiant efforts to continue on, I've pondered on the mandate to endure to the end.......and what does that look like.  

As I watched my two youngest take on hiking challenges in southern Utah this past week, I was suddenly dumbstruck when, on the final day of hiking I heard my older son whisper to my younger son as he stood frozen on a downhill climb: 



 "Jacob, don't worry and don't be afraid, remember those mountains you climbed down yesterday?  You can do it again and I'll help you."  

So simple, right?  

Just an older brother whispering words of comfort to a younger brother.


......but for some reason my view suddenly exploded into a firm arm around my shoulders and He, my older brother, whispering,.....



"Don't worry and don't be afraid........remember you've done this before.....you can do it again, and I'll help you."  

As I stopped and looked down at my sons and pondered the sudden flash of insight, I realized I had been mulling over old, new and even continuing challenges and feeling the familiar fear and uncertainty start to take hold of my mind.  I wasn't even enjoying the beautiful view around me.  

I looked at my older son, with his firm arm around my younger son and his coaxing words as he led him down the path


-----his steps so sure and steady

------my younger son's steps so uncertain, faltering, questioning, doubting.......in constant need of reassurance.  

And this was not a one and done message of assurance....

.......this message was continually repeated, as was coaxing, pleading,

        .........and maybe even a little cussing......

(maybe a lot of cussing :)!)

......as my older son led my younger son down the mountain side, across streams, up and over rocks, across bridges and finally up a very steep incline at the end of the journey

...........when my youngest gave up and my older son carried him up to the top on his shoulders........an interesting picture, as my youngest may be equal to or more in bulk than my older son.  

The interesting thing was..........this scenario played out every day of our trip

.

........my younger son, 

    hesitating, 

        doubting, 

            fearing, 

                whining

                    frustrating us to our wit's end sometimes


........but my older son never giving up on him, 

         never letting go, 

             always going back for him.

               leading,

                 following, 

                    dragging, 

                        carrying, 

                            guiding, 

                                encouraging (which sometimes sounded like cussing!)

                                    .......and never letting my younger son quit.  

As I pondered the scene that played out before me these past few days, my view has been expanded to see the hand of my older Brother in my life.


.......his relentless pursuit of guiding me, 

        encouraging me, 

            lifting me, 

                gathering me, 

                    helping me, 

                        lifting me, 

                            dragging me, 

                                never giving up on me, 

                                    always coming back for me, 

                                            pushing, 

                                                    pulling, 

                                                        whispering,

                                                             prodding,     

                                                        (and probably he would like to do a hefty amount of cussing too)

......and I am amazed........

    and grateful.......

        and stunned.........

            and awed.........

                and full of wonder 

that such an One

    ....as He, 

        .....would come back for me......

.                again and again,

                 ....unwearying, 

                    ...unwavering, 

                        ....unflinching,

                             .....unaltered 

by my stubborness,

     ......lack of ability, 

        ......lack of progress, 

            .....continual mistakes

                ......continual wavering

                    ......continual murmuring

                        .......continual unsteadiness

..........and yet, 

He never

    .........gives up

        .........gives in

            ........let's me go

never

He is:

    ......eternal

        ......enduring

            .......immortal

.                .....Emmanuel


                    ....my older Brother......



He Lives!



1 comment:

Mary said...

Love this ❤️❤️❤️ You are a wise one - thanks for sharing